Monthly Bandwidth limit on Apache 2.0.48?
Monthly Bandwidth limit on Win 2k, Apache 2.0.48 (Edit:) on multiple virtual hosts?
Can this be done?
XP Home Networking
This should be easy. Especially for me, I'm a network administrator for a large company. Do MS ever make it easy?
I need to network two XP Home machines, one laptop, one tower together.
local policy ... logon interactively Error Cannot Fix
I have two computers on the domain that cannot connect and cannot logon to the domain or local computer either using the persons account or the Admin account.
IBM to Expand RFID Services for Industrial Companies and Mid-market Businesses
Today IBM announced a broad suite of services to speed the benefits of radio frequency identification (RFID) systems to industrial companies and mid-market businesses.
Business Engine Announces Availability of Business Engine Network
Business Engine, a leader in application software solutions for running the business of IT, has announced the availability of the Business Engine Network (BEN) 5.3.
Novell Announces Enhancements for Novell Nsure
Novell today announced significant enhancements for Novell Nsure Identity Manager designed to save organizations time and costs associated with configuration and management of their identity infrastructure.
Novell Announces Beta Availability of Novell Open Enterprise Server
Novell today announced the upcoming public beta software availability of Novell Open Enterprise Server, incorporating the best from leading commercial and open source networking platforms along with integrated management tools, identity-based services and an entire ecosystem of support backed by Novell to meet enterprise-class computing needs.
Novell Announces Virtual Directory Services
Novell today announced two new products that eliminate many of the challenges associated with implementing directory services and identity management solutions.
Ampro Announces Linux-based Systems That Enable Embedded OEMs
Ampro Computers today announced a family of complete, integrated, low cost Linux-based computer systems that enable embedded OEMs to rapidly deploy products to market.
LogicLibrary and Serena Integrate Logidex for .NET with Serena Dimensions for .NET
LogicLibrary and Serena Software announced the integration of Logidex for .NET with Serena Dimensions for .NET.
Oracle Announces that it Prevails in Lawsuit
Oracle Corporation announced today that it has prevailed in a lawsuit filed by the Department of Justice seeking to block its proposed acquisition of PeopleSoft.
CTIA WIRELESS I.T. & Entertainment 2004 to Feature Apple, Vodafone, Microsoft, and Yahoo!
Today, CTIA - The Wireless Association announced the keynote speakers for the upcoming CTIA WIRELESS I.T. & Entertainment 2004, October 25-27, 2004 in San Francisco, California.
Microsoft Great Plains Implementation – Overview For IT Administrator
By Andrew Karasev
If you have Microsoft Great Plains and support it for your company then you need to know typical set of problems you have in Great Plains and their fixes to have Great Plains run smoothly in your company.
We'll describe techniques applicable to Microsoft SQL Server as well as to legacy platforms: Pervasive SQL.2000 (btrieve) and ctree. The last Ctree/Pervasive version is 7.5. New Microsoft Great Plains 8.0 is for SQL Server/MSDE. You should also know that Great Plains as well as Small Business Manager is written in proprietary Great Plains Software language/environment: Great Plains Dexterity, which has Dynamics.exe and Dynamics.dic files as the core of the Great Plains workstation.
How to delete the user? This is the first problem you encounter - when user shuts down the computer - Great Plains doesn't have the command to log off the user and when user tries to login the next day - she gets error message that user is already logged on. The fix:
• Microsoft SQL Server - open SQL Query Analyzer, switch to DYNAMICS database and run the following script: DELETE ACTIVITY WHERE USERID='KATHY'.
• Pervasive SQL/Ctree - if you have more than one user registered you can delete the user from GP: System->User Activity->Delete User. If you like to work on the file level - ask all the users to log off. On the server, where you have your Great Plains files structure - DYNAMICS is the root, in SYSTEM folder delete ACTIVITY.* files
How to unlock the batch? This happens when user posts the batch and has her computer crashed (via surfing the internet - smile - or things like this)
• General tip - Great Plains recommends to logoff and then login back with the same user id. Then Great Plains will prompt the user to recover posting batch. Unfortunately it doesn't work in 70% of the cases
• MS SQL Server - the batch record is stored in Batch Header table: SY00500 in the company database. The fields to clear are: BCHSTTUS and MKDTOPST. In some cases you have to delete the record from SY00800 from DYNAMICS db.
• Pervasive/ctree - you have to install ODBC driver for Pervasive or Ctree and hook the tables: SY00500, SY00800 with Microsoft Access - use linked tables technique
Now we would like to stress you the need to move away from Pervasive SQL 2000/Ctree platforms - you are in trouble - Microsoft Business Solutions cuts technical support for Microsoft Great Plains 7.5 and prior on these platforms. This means not only the support, but also tax updates (especially Payroll and Federal Magnetic Media).
What is migration from Ctree/Pervasive.SQL 2000 to MS SQL/MSDE? MBS has migration tool. You need first to install Great Plains on SQL Server with exactly the same account/segments structure and then install migration tool (it is Dexterity chunk) on your ctree/Pervasive workstation - then, when you integrate the chunk - you will map it to target SQL-based Great Plains Company, select all system and company tables, click the button and it will move all your tables one-by-one. In the case when your Great Plains ctree/Pervasive has third parties - you need to check if the vendor has migration tool - otherwise you have to do manual move, use SQL Linked server to your legacy data
Do I need consultant? It is probably good idea to have consultant to do the upgrade. We strongly recommend you to use consultant in the following cases
• You have Dexterity customization
• You are doing migration from Pervasive/Ctree to Microsoft SQL Server/MSDE, especially when you have third-parties without migration tools
• You have a lot or ReportWriter Modified Great Plains Reports
• You have old version of Great Plains: Dynamics or eEnteroprise 6.0 or prior - in this case you can not appeal to Microsoft Technical Support - it is discontinued
• Your Great Plains has more than 20 users and you have to have upgrade done over the weekend - if it fails - you have business problems
• You don't have support - in this case you have to select your Microsoft Business Solutions Partner and pay for the annual support/enhancement plan - you will get new registration key and will be ready for the upgrade
|About the Author:|
Andrew Karasev is Chief Technology Officer in Alba Spectrum Technologies – USA nationwide Microsoft CRM, Microsoft Great Plains customization company, based in Chicago, California, Texas, New York, Georgia and Florida and having locations in multiple states and internationally (www.albaspectrum.com), he is Dexterity, SQL, C#.Net, Crystal Reports and Microsoft CRM SDK developer.